We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Thoughts About Travel

I have never understood how people can just stay in one place forever and be perfectly content with never seeing another part of the world. I come from small town Iowa, with a town population of 7,000. I grew up in the countryside where I spent more time on my horses back than I did sleeping, where my summers consisted of blackberry stained feet, and where you take a moment to breathe in the crisp clean air. It's a place where you live life a little slower. I love small town life and it will always be home, but I have always been infected with wanderlust, since I was a child. How could I not want to see every inch of what was given to us to see, taste, smell, and experience. For whatever reason, we were lucky enough to be put on this beautiful planet and at the end of my life I want to be able to say I did everything I could and wanted in life. I saw every inch of this planet, saw the way people on the other side of the world live their lives, and had the time of my life.

My grandfather has been one of the biggest influences in my life and although he is no longer here I know he would be proud of me for taking this opportunity. He lived his life like every day was his last, saw the world, fought for his country, worked for everything he had, fell in love, and had a family. He was a tough and  argumentative man till the day he breathed his last breath, but he always lived his life in humor. There was nothing better than sitting at Grandpa's house, the wood stove lulling you to sleep while listening to the stories of his life.

I guess you could say part of me has the need to travel because of all the stories he told me, I wanted to live in them myself. My mother also has always encouraged me to see what the world has to offer. Part of the reason I want to travel is to honor my grandfather and live a life full of journeys like he did. If I can live a life like he did I know when it comes my time, I won't be disappointed with what I leave behind. Although my grandfather saw many different parts of the world Scotland is one place he never made it to. I hope in some way he can be there with me on this trip because there is no one I would rather share my stories with than him.

Some people are content with never leaving the town they grew up in or seeing other parts of the world. Although there is nothing wrong with that, it will never be enough for me. I feel like so many peoples life goals are graduate college, get a good job, get married, and have kids. Sometimes I feel like people just go with what society has set as an example for them.Well there is no law saying you have to follow what everyone else is doing. Do them out of order, never have a child, travel, and do things for yourself while your young and your body isn't against you. Climb Mt. Everest, go on a gondola ride in Venice, or sit under the stars at the Eiffel Tower, just explore. Maybe it's selfish, but to me my twenties are going to be about finding myself, growing as a person, and doing what makes me happy. That is what everyone's goal should be after all, just to be happy.

Best Wishes,
Morgan
 

No comments:

Post a Comment