We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Letter to My Grandfather

I've decided to do something a little different for this blog post. I'm going to use this one as a letter that I would write to my grandfather. I wish in someway he'd be able to get it and maybe in some way he will.


Grandpa,

I know this seems kind of bizarre doesn't it? Sending a letter to someone who is no longer here in the physical world? Maybe somehow I think you'll get it even if I never send it because where would I send it to? I just wanted you to know how much I miss you. I miss your stories, I miss your laugh, and I miss the way you loved to give people shit. I haven't seen you in what feels like centuries. I'm in Scotland finally living out my forever dream of studying abroad and I now understand why your spirit was so free. How can someone experience something like seeing the world and not have it make them become so alive, so independent? It's like when you're seeing the world all your worries leave you, like the troubles back home, you leave home. You just focus on you. And although home is always in the back of my mind I'm living in the present and fully immersing myself in this culture. It's like a drug that I have become addicted to. Even if you saw the world in so much more of a difficult way, with being  in a war that caused you to sacrifice so much in your life, I see why you loved the adventure. While I was in London I couldn't help but feel like you were guiding me along the way. I walked the same paths you did only years and years later. It somehow made me feel closer to you, like you never really left. A man in the house who claims to be psychic told me I have a pink aura which means someone who has passed on is guiding and protecting me. Even though I know you would think it was a load of crap I cant help but feel comfort like maybe its you...like maybe you really are here seeing this beautiful land with me. I hope it's true because your heart was filled with wanderlust and I think it'something you infected me with as a child without knowingly doing so. I know a soul like yours could never truly die even when your body defied you with age. I thank you so much for teaching me its perfectly okay to be absolutely selfish in life. Especially at a young age, those are your selfish years. Do things for you, do what makes you happy, follow you heart in whatever direction that might take you. Studying abroad has definitely pointed me in a direction I want to go, towards a person I want to become. I thank you for teaching me how to be independent and you don't need another person to define you, you have all the strength in the world to do that for yourself. It feels like this is the first time I've really felt alive, like I am really living. Scotland is something amazing and the history is so well preserved it makes me be able to see a time long before my own. I know seeing this land is something you would love. It seems surreal that you've been gone for over a year now. There's no one I would rather share the stories of this journey with than you, like you shared yours with me for all those years. You helped shape me as a person and you and Grandma were like my second parents. I hope you've found peace, I hope you've been reunited with Grandma because a love like that is a once in a lifetime kind of thing, and I hope and pray that you are seeing the world at my side. Wherever you are I hope you're happy and more than anything I hope you're free.



I miss you and I'll love you forever,

Morgan

4 comments:

  1. And now I'm crying like a baby. Miss you grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morgan, I just got off the phone with Grandma Jo for her birthday and she told me about your blog and said what an awesome writer you are. She is right!! You are doing a beautiful job of it in this blog and the pictures are great. I will be checking in to "see" all the sights you are posting. Love, Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cindy! Thank you so much writing is something I am very passionate about! Hope you like following it!

    ReplyDelete