We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Last Day of Orientation and Beginning Classes

Yesterday was the last day of orientation here at the palace and today we started classes. I am excited for classes so I have some sort of structure to my schedule. For the last day of orientation we did a scavenger hunt around Edinburgh to get to know the city better.
Sir Walter Scott Monument
I definitely know how to get around better and know where more places are. It was a 2 and 1/2 mile course, but it seemed longer. Also we had to ask locals questions as part of it, I talked to a guy on the bus and he was very nice and friendly. I love Edinburgh, especially Princess Street with all the beautiful monuments, gardens, and places to shop. We saw a lot of light shows that happen during the night in Edinburgh. We intend to go back to see them one night because I bet they are magnificent. They also have a production of War Horse at the theater and I was sad it was sold out because I bet that would have been something amazing to see.  I finally got my phone set up and called home. Mom and Katie were home, but dad was at work. It was so good to hear their voices. I also got to talk to Stella! I miss them all. Even though I love it here an am having a great time my family is always in the back of my mind. I wouldn't be here without their support and helping to afford to take this opportunity. I owe them so much for the experience they have given me. Tonight at the palace we ate some traditional Scottish foods and had a Ceilidh (a party or dance) where we learned some traditional dances. It was a lot of fun. This upcoming weekend we go to see Cramon Island, meet our host families, and go to the Carboot Sale (like a flea market). I'm going to look for sweaters at the sale because I need more with the damp cold here. I could get used to this whole only 4 days of classes a week and wearing slippers to class. I have two communications classes, a social dance class, and a Scottish globalization class. The faculty is really nice so I think I will enjoy my classes a lot. Its a nice atmosphere having the faculty live here in the palace and learning about Scotland and touring with us too. Its nice so if I have a question about the work they are only a hallway away. Mondays will be my busiest day. I have Intercultural Communications from 8am-9:40am and Scottish Globalization from 1:30-4:30 and 6:30pm to 9:30pm that should be a long class! I like my Scottish Globalization teacher though, he is very entertaining. Scottish people have great humor. I learned from him today that Scot's hate Sean Connery a lot. They hate him because he always claims to love his country, but he doesn't even live here anymore. He lives in the Bahamas because he doesn't want to pay the taxes in his so called beloved country. He said "To hell with Sean Connery!". Scot's have a saying they say to one another when the other is thinking as himself as better than other's, "You're no better than me." They say this because the man thinking he's better than the rest often comes from the same background or not from wealth, but they act like it. Like with Sean Connery they say he's no better than me his father was a milkman.  
View of Edinburgh from the terrace 
We all also have house jobs I vacuum the grand stair case and clean the conference room every Monday. We also get assigned prep and serving duty. Every Wednesday for two hours during the day I will help prepare for that nights dinner. About 7 times during the semester, with my clan Wallace, we serve dinner and clean up after dinner is served. During out kitchen hours we work under the head chef Henry. He is Scottish and he has a very dry sense of humor. When we had our kitchen training we learned about how fast bacteria can spread on food and the do's and don'ts. He told us a story of one time when he had food poisoning and he told his wife he loved her and she told him they'd best get him to the hospital because he was delusional. His stories are quite funny. We also have trips and sightseeing about every weekend. Once I get into the flow of things it should be pretty easy. This morning I had toast and peanut butter for breakfast. It was nice having something familiar to eat, but the peanut butter did taste a little different. They also have cereal here in the castle for breakfast! Thank heavens I am saved! I love cereal a ridiculous amount. I tried a candy bar called a Kinder Bar. Its two pieces like a Twix but it's milk covered in hazelnut and chocolate. It is the most delicious thing I have ever eaten. One of my favorite things I have found here is how everyone says cheers as a way of goodbye, so I've decided to start using it. So till next time.
Streets in Edinburgh




Cheers,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment