We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Central City Edinburgh

Today we went into central city Edinburgh. I learned that Edinburgh is a lot like Chicago. Edinburgh has different areas like Leith, Dalkeith, and Central City they are all just different areas of the city. To say I love Scotland would be an understatement. I love how alive the city of Edinburgh is, how young it is, but historic as well. We learned how to use the bus system today to get ourselves around Scotland so that will come in handy because there are a lot of sites I want to see.
Edinburgh Castle
I want to go to Portabello Beach in Edinburgh and they also have horse races there so that is a must. We go back to Edinburgh tomorrow for a walking tour so I hope to do a bit of shopping then. Today was cold and windy plus it started to hail so we made our way back to Dalkeith quickly. When I say cold it is nothing compared to Iowa winters, but still is chilly. Rain boots and a waterproof windproof jacket make for the perfect attire. All the people are so kind and I love seeing all the various styles of clothing on the streets. Riley, Anna, and I went to the Scottish Whiskey Experience and enjoyed some warm coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. We plan to try the whiskey another day, but I'm not sure I'll like it much.I now understand why they say don't ever try to out drink a Scottish. We looked in the menu and all of the beverages for one glass were at least 45% alcohol. It was crazy!

We rode the bus back to Dalkeith then and ate at the Black Smith Forge and they have amazing chips(they call french fries chips and their chips crisps). It's weird though because they don't use ketchup so that will take getting used too. I love how so many people are out and about walking their dogs, I definently fit in here being a dog lover. I just feel so alive here, like I can do anything I've ever dreamed of. The experience is already changing my life and it's only my third day here. I feel myself becoming so much more independent, I know how to get around a country, I laugh a ridiculous amount everyday, and I am making friends that I know will last a lifetime.
Central City Edinburgh
Our Resident Director said when she studied abroad it was a pivotal moment in her life and I feel the same. I feel myself figuring out what I want in life and the person I am starting to become. Life is an adventure and I think anyone who doesn't study abroad in college is missing out on a chance to change your life for the better and grow as a person, I just can't wait to see where else this journey will take me and how the rest of my time here will be.
Me at Edinburgh Castle
<3 Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment