We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Cramond Island, Host Families, and More

Yesterday we went to Cramon Island. Just when I thought Scotland couldn't get any more marvelous the Cramon Islands proved me wrong. Camon in a tidal island so if you aren't off of it by a certain time you can get trapped. The island was used during the war as an outpost in protecting the coasts from enemies. You can still see remnants of old buildings on the island.

The walkway to Cramon Island
It is a one mile walk along the path (that becomes under the water during high tide) to get out to the island. Along the causeway there are concrete pylons that were build during WWII as a defense against submarines. The island lies in the North Sea, which I can now say i have stepped foot in. It was one of the most beautiful sites I have ever seen. We explored the whole island and collected some shells as a souvenir. On the way to the island a man pointed out a house of J.K. Rowling's that she stays in while visiting Edinburgh. After a while we it got colder on the island and made it back to Edinburgh. Lauren, Tyler, and I then went to Primark to do  a bit of damage. I can see why everyone love it so much there are so many clothes to choose from for a reasonable price. I got a sweater and some gloves.

The views are to die for.

My roommate Lauren and I on an old building.

Me on Cramond Island
After we made our way the The Elephant House where many of you know is where J.K. Rowling began writing the Harry Potter series. I had a mocha and a homemade brownie. It was very delicious. After we went to the cemetery behind The Elephant House where she got some of the names for her characters books. It's crazy imagining JK Rowling sitting at the same coffee shop and wandering the same cemetery as I did when she began one of the greatest series of all time. It's easy to see how inspired a writer could be in a city like Edinburgh. There's inspiration everywhere you look from the people, the history, and the architecture.
Thomas Riddell grave
My treat at the Elephant House
That is the one thing I like more about Scotland that the United States is how much more history they have preserved. We then made our way back to Dalkeith and got some takeout Chinese to eat back at the Palace while we watched Braveheart. It's funny watching that movie and realizing how bad their accents are after hearing them for real and how most Scot's today so not want independence from the United Kingdom. This morning I met my host family. They are a nice older couple who have been a host family for 25 years. Their names are Rachel and Michael Wilson. One girl from a previous semester in the program actually married their son. They know a broad range of knowledge and know so much history. I think I will learn a lot from them. On Thursday they are picking me up and we are going to her sisters for dinner. I am very excited for the experience of knowing them and having a family in another country. They said we will probably get together at least once a week. They also have a dog I am very excited to meet because I miss my own pups. This afternoon I am going to get some homework done and then possibly go out to Mayson's later tonight. Tomorrow is the Carboot sale so I am excited to interact with the locals and find some good deals! I love how independent I have become here and how we can just take off and do our own thing with this program, but they also provide us with so many resources. I like being able to navigate a big city like Edinburgh and not being terrified of becoming lost, I think I've become much more patient from this experience so far. I can't believe I will have already been here two weeks soon, time is flying by. I am so glad I took this opportunity because I know it has aleady forever changed my life.
Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself.
I also found out this weekend when we go to London the original animals from the Harry Potter movies will be at the studios we visit. How cool is that that I get to meet them!

Cheers,

Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment