We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Creepy Attic, Homework Stress, and Leith

Tank and Hitler Drawing
Another week has come and gone here and Scotland, but you know what they say time flies when you're having fun. Let's start this one off with earlier this week when I took a trip up to the palace's haunted attic. During World War II the palace's third floor was used to house Polish soldiers. There are a lot of drawings on the wall from the soldiers during the war and names and numbers written on doors. The attic goes on forever I never knew all of that was up there. They said a long time ago before the war when royals lived here their children lived on the third floor. They didn't keep the attic updated so you have to walk on the floor boards and a lot of stuff up there is falling apart, but you can tell at one time is used to be nice. It was very creepy because there is only lighting in some spots and it's very eerie. I also think it's really amazing how much history is packed into this house I call my home. I really think that there are ghosts here just from odd things that have happened, but it doesn't bother me. I don't think they are here to harm us, this is just their home, it was theirs before it was ours. One of the ghosts that has been a
Name chalked on door.
legend here for years is Mary. She was a 13 year-old girl who passed away in the house due to an illness. My friends room has a light that will shut off when it is on and they'll yell, "Mary turn the light back on!" and it will come on. Also when I was in the attic taking photos I had  two orbs floating at my camera and it freaked me and my friends out just a little! People who live on the third floor also say they always hear noises like someone is running around up in the attic. Makes living here fun though! This week has been more of a stressful one I'd say. I have a Scottish Globalization paper due tomorrow and I slaved over it all week. It was a difficult topic to narrow into 800 words. I gave it my best effort so now all I can do is wait. I also have
We think it meant the number to each room.
so much homework due before spring break it's not even funny. I think I made myself sick with how much stress I was under this weekend. I think the stress also started making me get home sick for my family. My friends and I pushed ahead through the paper together and helped each other out. On Friday night Kyra, Riley, and I went out to Back Smiths Forge and ate some dinner it tasted so good, they have great food there. After we went to Mayson's and it was fun, but then again it always is. I love meeting locals, they're always fun to socialize with. It was a guy named Rickie's birthday and he was out celebrating, he was quite entertaining. I kept calling him Rickie Bobby but I dont think he was getting the movie reference. He was there with a girl Claire who also works at Mayson's and she was obsessed with wanting to buy me drinks, I
Cross Drawing
guess I made a good first impression or something. There's also always a lot of Irish men at the bar because they come here to work on construction. If you think understanding Scot's is hard, understanding the Irish is 10 times harder. On Saturday we went to Tesco to get some groceries and for dinner Kyra, Riley, and I made Spaghetti, bread, and green beans. It was very cost efficient. We have to fend for ourselves on the weekends here and eating out is so expensive. Henry feeds us through the week, but I don't like a lot of the food. I told Mom I miss American food, so she's sending me a care package. Can't wait to get that, I love mail! Today Lauren and I went to Leith. It's a town more by the water. We did a little shopping and went to a cafe and just talked for an hour and drank coffee. It was nice to get away from the stress of homework for awhile. We also ate tonight and I had a veggie kebab from Franco's. Their kebab's are like what we called gyro's. We had a dinner date down in the dinning room. Riley, Kyra, and I have also got into this thing where we have popcorn dates and talk for like an hour. I love our talk, we have the best time and I laugh so much when I am with those two. They've become like my second family. We don't even have to be doing anything to have a good time. I had a good day, but it was a bit cold and rainy. Things are warming up here in Scotland though it's in the 50's mainly now. We had quite a scare today when a helicopter was circling our house and cop cars came rushing into our drive. A boy who is thought to be suicidal went missing from his home today so they were searching the grounds because this is the most secluded area in town. His shoes were found, but they did not find him. It was a little scary and I hope they find him before anything bad happens.
Holly and I at Mayson's.

Kyra, Riley, and I 

Brady, Kyra, and I 

Lauren and I at Leith

Leith
                                 

Me at Leith

Triple Threat.
Finally I'd like to introduce you to my second family, we are a triple threat. These girls are everything to me and I am so blessed to have met them. They have helped make this experience truly the best one in my life. Doing this program has given me lifelong friends. Don't know what I'll so without them when it's time to say goodbye.

"Friends make you laugh a little louder, smile a little brighter, and live a little better than before." 
         

I also got word last night that a family friend from home lost his battle with cancer. He was also one of my good friends uncle. He was too young and I will never understand why bad things happen to good people. Maybe all of this is just part of a bigger plan that we don't understand yet. I am sad I won't be home to attend his services. I'll miss him and all the shit he used to give me ever since I was a little kid. May his soul forever rest in peace. Cheers from Scotland Mike, you were one of the best.

Cheers, 

Morgan





















No comments:

Post a Comment