We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

Monday, February 17, 2014

London for the Weekend

The Eye
Well what a weekend in London it was, but I am so happy to be home in Dalkeith. London was really cool, but it wasn't what I was expecting. It was really awesome to see all the monuments and history, I like Edinburgh a lot more though. I feel like London is the equivalent of New York and it's a lot more modern and touristy. The hostel we stayed at was very nice and they had very nice showers so I appreciated that. Our room was quite small for the four of us, but we made it work and it was an adventure. On our first afternoon there we went to the Tower of London and saw the Crown Jewels. After we ate dinner at an Italian place and it was amazing. I have had good experiences at Italian places in the United Kingdom, the staff is always so entertaining and friendly. Might have to make a trip to Italy in the near future. Later that night we went a play called 39 steps in Piccadilly Square and it was amazing and very funny! They say Piccadilly Square is similar to Times Square in New York. It was very alive. On Saturday we went on our walking tour and met at the Covent Gardens which is a shopping area that has all these cool shops, it was really hard to resist! The walking tour led us around London and we saw Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, The Houses of Parliment, Westminster Abbey, Nelson's Column, Horseguards, 10 Downing Street, St. James Park, and Trafalgar Square. On our tour we had a famous England women's basketball player it was sweet even if I didn't know who she was. Our tour guide Chris was great and made it very entertaining! He's actually from Australia so it was fun talking to him about his home country as well, and his accent was awesome too. Also in London they have a statue dedicated to Abraham Lincoln so I thought that is was awesome that he even was inspirational in the United Kingdom.
Lauren and I at Buckingham Palace
After we went to a pub and I tried fish and chips. I can still say fish is not for me. After Riley and I went to Winston Churchill's War Cabinet Bunker. It was really cool to see something from World War II still preserved and left the way it looked all those years ago. They worked in this bunker for 6 years and the lights were never turned off. On the day the war was won everyone turned off the lights and left everything the way it was and returned home to their families. That night Tyler, Lauren, Kyra, Riley and I ate at an amazing burger and shake place and then walked around Soho which was neat to see. On Sunday we went and saw Abbey Road, Sherlock Holmes House and rode the Eye. It was all so amazing and the view from The Eye was surreal. That afternoon we went to Warner Brothers Studios to the Harry Potter set. It was so cool to see the set they worked on for ten years in the movies. We got to see the animal stars of the movies too and they were so cute! It was so elaborate and can't believe I really walked on the set where the cast worked. This morning we went to the British History Museum and the British Library they were both very neat and spectacular. We walked a tremendous amount throughout the weekend and it was very tiring. We fit so much into just four days it was all a blur.
Riley and I on The Eye
I enjoyed myself, but I was ready to come home. It's crazy to think I consider Scotland my home now for the time being. It really has become that though, I feel comfortable here and happy. Our time in London was filled with a lot of laughter, I always have a great time with my friends. We took the tube a lot of our destinations in London as well. I was very proud of myself this weekend and how I rely on myself to get where I am going and I do pretty well. I never thought I'd be able to get myself around somewhere as big as London so easily. I still can't believe I was in the city of royalty, walked where the Beatles did, saw Sherlock Holmes house, and was where they filmed Harry Potter. It's surreal. Today we stored our luggage in the luggage room and went back to collect it before our train so we didn't have to carry it around all day. We opened the door and there was luggage everywhere. I threw myself in there and had to dig ours out. It's very difficult with short legs. Luckily these guys helped me pull them out when I couldn't get them.The train ride home seemed long and it felt so good to walk in the doors of my home. It rained everyday we were there except one day, so it's a good thing I like the rain. If you're ever thinking of going to the United Kingdom I would definitely recommend Edinburgh over London.
British History Museum 
Edinburgh is not as touristy and busy and it's so much more historic and beautiful. The air is also a lot fresher in Scotland. In London it kind of smells and its very dirty with littering. Maybe I'm biased because I live in Edinburgh, but to me Scotland has so much more to offer.
9 3/4 Platform
Hope all is well back in the states.

Cheers,

Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment