We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Glasgow, Arthur's Seat, Roslin Chapel and More

Well this has been yet another eventful week here in Scotland. Thursday night we went to the opera for a class and I am happy to be able to say I have experienced an opera. Although the opera was good I can say I don't think it's the thing for me. We then stopped at Mayson's to on the way back to the house to end the night. Gavin, the man who owns Mayson's is the best. He's the nicest guy ever and makes sure to look out for all of us.

This is Gavin!
Kyra, Riley, Lauren and I at Mayson's.
On Friday morning we loaded the bus up and away we went to Glasgow. We made our first stop at Celtic Stadium. It was amazing to see the stadium locker rooms, and walk out into the dome like a true Celtic player does. I can see how amazing it must feel to play of that field with thousands of fans cheering you on. It had such a magical feel about it. I got a scarf that was on sale to remember the Celtics by, I hope to maybe get to a match before leaving Scotland in May. We finished out the rest of the day by attending the Transportation Museum and Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
Me at CELTIC STADIUM.

Glasgow

Floating Head exhibit at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.

Lauren and I at the Transportation Museum.
Lauren, Emma, Katlin, and I in Glasgow.
"Always find a reason to laugh. It may not add years to your life, but it will surely add life to your years."
Both museums were very neat and it was interesting looking through all the exhibits they had. My favorite one was the floating heads. It's so unique you just can't help but be mesmerized by them. The heads installation was created in encapsulate the word "expression". That's why all the faces are making a different face, to show the range of expression. When we got back from Glasgow Lauren and I went down into Willie's Cafe and watched the first Harry Potter movie with Holly, Brady, Calla, Tyler, Alicia, and Tori. It was fun and you notice a lot more about the movies once you've seen the set, we also enjoyed shouting out, "we've seen that!" every scene.
Let the hike begin.
I made it to the top!
We got up early on Saturday morning and went to hike Arthur's Seat. Arthur's seat was formed by an extinct volcano and the evidence is still prevalent today. No one has ever discovered why the giant 822ft. cliff is named Arthur's Seat, but many believe it was named after King Arthur. We began our hike up the hillside and made in to the top in an hour. It was a vigorous and tough hike, but it was definitely worth the view. At the top it was terribly windy and I got scared a few times of the height. It give you a full view of the whole city of Edinburgh and man if it wasn't one of the most beautiful sites. Although it's always cloudy here the when the sun peaks through the overcast it makes for some of the most breath taking skies, much like the sky we had climbing Arthur's Seat.
Breathtaking view at the top of Arthur's seat.
After the exhausting hike Tyler, Kyra, Lauren, and I went to Baguette Express and fed our grumbling bellies. We then did a bit of shopping around town and eventually made our way back to the house. We prepared ourselves for night two of Harry Potter movie watching and popped the second one in. Only six left to go! Lauren and I cuddle on the couch when the movie gets a little scary! Saturday night was a very windy night and made our shutters hit against the building so it was tougher to sleep. This morning Tyler, Lauren, and I woke up and went to Roslin Chapel. We attended a service to get a free tour and everyone there was so kind. It's so funny when you say you're from the states the people here automaticaly ask you if you're doing the Wisconsin in Scotland Program at Dalkeith Palace. We are known throughout the area! The Chapel was breathtaking and very historic. After we made our way back to the house to eat some lunch.
Roslin Chapel
Tonight I my host dad picked me up and I ate dinner with him, his wife Rachel, her sister, and their two Black Labs Tyler and Macy. We ate chicken breasts, green beans, cauliflower, potatoes, and a fruit crisp. It was delicious and it felt so good to eat veggies. We only really have salad here at the palace and we eat a lot of potatoes and meat. I never knew I could be so happy eating some cooked veggies! Yum! Michael reminds me of my grandfather in a way, he knows a little bit about everything. I think he will really enjoy my arrow head shadow box I plan to give them as a gift since he's so into history and genealogy. I talked to mom tonight and Katie and I officially have a roomed booked for us in Tenby, Wales! Now all we have to do is book our trains. We will start off spring break in London, go to Wales, and spend the last two days back in Edinburgh. I can't wait! Can't believe this Wednesday I will have been here for a month. Time is just flying right on by! I've truly come to think of Edinburgh as my home though and I already know saying goodbye in just 2 months and some odd days will be one of the most difficult things I'll do in life. How sad is it knowing I have to say goodbye one day to a place that has become my home away from home and know that I might never return to this beautiful land, but until then I will treasure the time I do have here and do everything I can and want.

Cheers back to my family in the states. I love you so much and I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without your support. You have given me the best experience of my life and helped me reach my dream of seeing the world. With this gift you have given me so much happiness and the ability to find myself as a person. I'll be seeing you soon.

"Keep smiling because life's a beautiful thing and theres so much to smile about."


Cheers,

Morgan

   

No comments:

Post a Comment