We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Beauty in Simplicity

One of the biggest ways this study abroad opportunity has changed me is learning to see the beauty in simplicity. I never realized how blessed we really are as a human population to be allowed to live somewhere as breathtaking as earth. It also has made me realize how beautiful my home in the states is and how lucky I am to have grown up where I did, good old Jackson County will always have a part of my heart. The difference I'm beginning to see now is the more I travel and the more I meet new friends, I realize my heart will never truly be home again because parts of it will always lie in the lands I travel to and the people I meet. Scotland has truly stolen my heart and I will miss this place greatly when it's time to return to the states because it has been the place that has helped me discover myself, where I learned to become independent, and the first country I took on solo. We are leaving for London early on Friday morning and coming back Monday night. It will be my first ride on a train so I am excited! Our schedule is pretty packed when we get there Friday we are going right to the Tower of London and then to a play that is supposed to be really good. Throughout the weekend we are also going to Harry Potter Studios, The Eye, Abbey Road, British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, and on a free walking tour that will show us most of the main attractions in London like Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Horseguards, and much more. I can't believe I am really going to see the great city of London, it doesn't seem real. I have to pack tonight because I won't have time to tomorrow because we have a night tour of Edinburgh! I can't wait because I heard it's even more beautiful at night and the castle is lit up with purple lights. Next week will go by super fast because we only have 3 days of classes because of our London trip. Classes here are so educational and require work, but they are not near as stressful as classes in the states. It's funny because in the states they pile on the homework, tests, and papers but I don't really feel like I retain a lot of the information and that I just get good at memorizing. Here though the classes are so interacting and challenged me to grow through all the information I am learning. Katie and I are getting our spring break plans all figure out so that's exciting! We are going to go to Wales and one of the things we are going to do is ride horses on the beach! Ah! My heart will be right at home on the back of a horse. We also will stop in London, the Roman Baths, Stonehedge, and I'll show her around the town where I live for a couple days. Just thought I'd update everyone on what's happening in my life and give a little inspiration for the day, so go find the beauty in simplicity in your life.

Cheers,

Morgan      

No comments:

Post a Comment