We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

One Week Down

Daily Sunrise in Dalkeith
I've officially spent a week here in Scotland and I'm loving every minute of it. I will never tire of the beautiful sunrises that shine right on Dalkeith house every morning. It's a beautiful scene to wake up to. Yesterday I had social dance class and that was a lot of fun. I was partners with my roommate Kyra and my friend Riley. We learned how to two step to some Brooks and Dunn, it was nice hearing something that reminds me of home, something familiar. I also had Interpersonal communications I think that should be a fun class the teacher is quite energetic. I then worked with my clan for dinner shift. We helped prepare for dinner and cleaned the dinning hall and kitchen. The more I work with Henry the more I like him. He cracks me up with the stories he tells. Yesterday he told me "Life's a bitch then ya marry one, have some kids, and ya die." He doesn't beat around the bush he tells it like it is. He also swears a lot, but I can't help but laugh every time because it's so funny hearing cuss words in his Scottish accent. He also likes to make people laugh so he told us a story about how he's trying to lose weight and the doctor told him to exercise. He decided to get his son's old bike out of the garage and get it fixed. "It cost me 100 pounds to get the damn thing fixed!". He then told us he went to take it out shoved his feet in the pedals and off he went, he went to stop at a stoplight and couldn't get his feet out so he just slowly toppled over. The way he gestures when telling a story is so funny.  I love working with my clan they are a blast. I also paid for my London trip cant believe that will be here in less than two weeks! I can't wait to ride the Eye and take a double decker bus tour! After dinner we decided to go to Mayson's.
Heart of Midlothian 
 My roommates Lauren and Kyra, my friends Anna, Jenna and Riley, and the Assistant Resident Director all came with. Later though pretty much everyone was there. It was fun and we talked to some locals who were very funny. The one guy was on his 17th drink and he looked fine! Crazy how high their tolerance level is for alcohol here. It was a good time. Today I only had one morning class and I worked the lunch shift.  After I got off I went for a run around the 
estate. It felt so good to go for a run, especially in this beautiful area. It started to pour right when I got back so I timed it perfectly. I am done for the day so I might work on some homework. Anna and I might go into Edinburgh to explore! I also forgot to add a photo the other day after our scavenger hunt around Edinburgh. It's called The Heart of Midlothian that is the "territory" in Scotland where I am. It's a heart in the bricks in Edinburgh and it is the exact center. People spit on it to show respect. Weird I know I didn't think spitting was considered respectful. It's crazy how much this place is becoming my second home. I think it will feel even more so when I meet my host family this Saturday. Missing everyone back in the states. I'll be seeing everyone soon.

My clan Wallace.


Cheers,

Morgan 








No comments:

Post a Comment